Istikhara -- Best Advice

Jabir (radi Allahu anhu) stated: “As the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) taught us the Quran, so also he instructed us to observe Istikhara in every matter. The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) used to say, ‘When anyone among you is perplexed over an important matter, he should perform two Rakahs of supererogatory (nafl) prayer and then make this dua: O Allah, I ask You to show me what is best through Your knowledge, and bring it to pass through Your power, and I ask You of Your immense favour; for You are All-Powerful and I am not, You know and I do not, and You are the Knower of the Unseen. O Allah, if You know this matter to be better for me in my religion, livelihood, and final outcome, then bring it about and facilitate it for me, and bless me with abundance therein. And if You know this matter to be worse for me in my religion, livelihood, and final outcome, then keep it from me, and keep me from it, and bring about the good for me whatever it may be, and make me pleased with it.’” [Sahih Bukhari]

Istikhara means “to ask for goodness and welfare.” Suppose you have two job offers. Both are halal. Both are comparable. Which one should you take? Only Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) knows which will be better for your Akhirah and Dunya, long-term and short-term. There are so many hidden factors that we cannot possibly know about. So why not ask the One who does know and is the Most Sincere for your welfare? 

It is Sunnah (recommended) to pray two Rakahs and then make the Istikhara dua. However one may make the dua on its own, or pray the two Rakahs alone with the intention of seeking Allah’s guidance in the matter. The two Rakahs may be prayed at any time of day or night except for the forbidden times of prayer. After you have sincerely sought Allah’s guidance, then you simply follow the course suggested to your heart or that you find is made easy for you to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahmed's White Palace

No Prophet After Me

Ridiculing Allah’s Commands